Tuesday, October 28, 2008

When Frustration Boils Over

I am in a bad mood. When I am in a bad mood, people suffer. In this case, it's not you guys. It's Big Name Pet Store. Your secrets are about to be revealed, Big Name. Beware the wrath!! This blog is about to live up to it's name!

Today we are going to discuss mark-up. BA HA! Just so you know, the mark up at pet stores is INSANE. You pay $6.99 for a pack of wood chews. Employees pay $1.99. You pay $250 for a rabbit cage, employees pay $80. The one thing that pained me about leaving the pet store was that I would no longer get my discount. Paying full price for these things when I know what the store pays for them makes me wanna cry.

So, as revenge against The Man, I am going to give you some awesome cheap alternatives to the pet store crap. I mean really. I want to help you. I used to send customers to Wal-Mart all the freaking time.

Tip #1
Check online. I swear, www.kijiji.com is a God send. Not only can you get cheep pet stuff, but you can get cheap pets. If you MUST have a hamster *shudder*, people are often selling or giving away the hamsters WITH their cages! It's a steal. You can get cracked tanks for free, and they are great for lizards.

Tip #2
Guinea pigs can't jump. They can't climb. They have stubby little legs that allow for very little in the way of escape mechanisms. My point? They can live in large Tupperware containers (with no lid on, of course). As long as it is large enough area wise, a guinea pig can live happily in a Tupperware container. The sides don't even have to be that tall. The same can be said for hedgehogs.

Tip #3
Every time I saw someone come into the store to buy cat toys, I wanted to cry. $2 for a crinkle ball?! Are you kidding? You want a crinkle ball for your cat? Ball up a piece of tinfoil. Voila! Toy. Cats are so easily amused. A string tied around a Kleenex. Fun! Go to the dollar store. They have pet stuff (please no food from there, toys only).

Tip #4
If by some chance you happen to have rodents, they love to chew. I'm not going to say pick any chunk of wood you find. Some are processed with chemicals and some naturally contain toxins that can harm your pets. Apple tree branches are usually safe, as long as no pesticides are being used. Also, smaller rodents love to chew and play with toilet paper or paper towel rolls.

Tip #5
Rats and ferrets love to sleep in hammocks or beds. An old t-shirt is awesome. My rat loves his. If you are a seamstress (as I am so very NOT) you can buy cheep fabric and make a hammock. No need to spend $14 on one in the store. For hide homes, boxes. Simple.

Tip #6
Check places like Wal-Mart and Zellers for products first. They will most likely have it for cheaper. They won't have such a wide selection, but saving a few bucks is worth it. Also, as a side note, if you are decorating a terrarium for a reptile or something similar, the dollar store sells fake leaves and vines.

Tip #7
Treats are expensive. For rodents and birds, you can go to places that sell bulk foods and get dried fruits and veggies for them (fresh stuff too, but in moderation).

Those are just a few simple money savers. I'm sure there are a tone more and you guys can feel free to share them on here! I'd love to hear more innovative ideas then the very obvious ones I listed.

That wasn't very mean. My wrath was more of a poke in the side then a slap in the face. . .

No comments: