Sunday, October 26, 2008

Responsibilities

Let's talk about responsible pet ownership. I know, I promised another introduction, but this has been weighing on my mind lately. I don't want to get into an animal rights discussion. We can all agree that you have to care properly for your pet. Feed it, give it proper health care and home care, treat it kindly, etc. I want to talk about the less obvious irresponsibility occurring.

This has come about due to a friends actions. A year ago she decided to get a snake. Ok. That's cool. I mean, I had doubts. She had trouble keeping track of her rabbit, let alone a snake. But I had faith. So she gets the least maintenance snake out there, the corn snake. It went ok for a little while. Then summer hit. She left it with a friend for 4 months and saw it once. She now has it at her camp because her mom won't let it in the house. Now the snake has lost it's novelty and bites her. It's a snake. I'm willing to bet she moves too quickly with it and BAM, snake thinks dinner has arrived. Anyways, she doesn't want it anymore. She is attempting to sell it (just the snake) for $150. Any snake person knows you can go to a private breeder and get a hand raised snake for half that. She's just trying to make a profit.

My point here is that when you decide to get a pet, think ahead! Do research! When I was at the pet store, people would drop off their hamsters, rats, rabbits, guinea pigs and fish because they didn't want them anymore. They return them because "they smell, they keep me awake at night, I lost interest" which they would have known if they had done research before getting the pet. It's a pet peeve, excuse the pun. These are living creatures, not trading cards. So here are some simple rules to help people choose a pet that they will keep and care for:

1. Research - Plain, honest to goodness research. Use the internet or go to the library. Pet store staff will (at least SHOULD) be able to help you. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Seek out people who own the type of pet in question and ask them questions. It's so easy. Don't be shocked after you buy the pet that they are nocturnal or that they smell.

2. Appropriate to lifestyle - If you are not home a lot, don't get a dog, cat or bird. If you think bugs are gross, don't get a lizard. Pick something the smoothly integrates into your life. This connects to the research aspect of your life. Never, ever, EVER get a pet because you think people will think you're cool or because you want to make people react. Get a pet because you want it, you like it and you want to care for it.

3. Think ahead - How long will the pet live? Where are you going to be then? Don't be caught moving somewhere where your pet cannot also live. If you know you will be moving home with your parents in 2 months and mom hates snakes, don't get one. Wait until you are living on your own.

4. Parental supervision - By this, I mean parents have to think smart. Lots of kids want pets. What the parent has to think of is if they are going to be willing to take on the responsability of said pet when Jr loses interest 2 weeks later. A way to help this is to get a pet the entire family likes. If mom is scared of mice, don't get one. Get something she can like as well so that if little Susie or Jimmy suddenly hate said pet, there is someone else who cares enough to take care of it.

5. Don't dump - A vacation is 2 - 3 weeks, tops. Not 6 months. If you are going on a vacation, make sure someone responsible will look after the pets for you. Do not pick someone who does not like animals. I will be leaving for a week or so at Christmas and I am already looking for people to care for Devi because I know it will be difficult to find someone who loves her like I do. If you are leaving for 6 months and you know it a) Don't get anymore pets! That's just mean to the people who will be caring for them and b) Make sure whoever is taking the pets you have is super ok with it, knows the care for them and is prepared for the money that will be involved. Leave a care fund in case of medical emergencies.

6. Rehoming - If you do have to get rid of the pet, make smart choices. I got my first two mice because someone was going to set them free because he didn't want them anymore *head smash*. If an animal has grown up as a pet, it will not suddenly be able to defend itself in the wild. It has wild RELATIVES. It is not wild itself. I may have relatives in France, doesn't mean I speak French. Pet stores will usually take fish, rodents and birds. Warning to mouse and rat owners: If dropped off at pet stores, these will go as reptile feeders 95% of the time. There are so many places to advertise these days (I am madly in love with Kijiji) that you should be able to rehome your pet to a good home. If rehoming online, be careful.

I know some situations cannot be helped. Allergies arise, family members pass on and little Hammy has to go somewhere. I just hate it when a perfectly good pet gets dumped because novelty has worn off.

Ok, next post will be pictures of cute, fuzzy animals I swear!

No comments: